Monday, July 25, 2011

Greyhawk: Wars! The Rules Re-written

I'm planning on using the Greyhawk: Wars! rules for a home campaign as a way of dealing with a continent-wide war in a way that several years of warfare can be handled over a long afternoon.  I tracked down my copy of the rules and, after not reading them for nearly 20 years, I realized they are pretty poorly written.  So, being an editor by profession, I took their rules and started editing them.

Half way through, I realized they were too far gone for that, so I started over.  I re-wrote the rules, jettisoning their text and replacing it with my own.  I also moved stuff around so it was easier to learn how to play the game from the rules.  I completed that and have decided to post it here for folks to see and comment on.

There are some hooks in it for expanding the number of sides.  GH:W is essentially a two player wargame writ large for two factions: good and evil.  I need the opportunity to run 3-5 different factions, so I've switched "alignment" for "faction" or bracketed in "faction", but it is still playable with the original components.

If you are interested, please take a look and leave me some feedback in the comments of this post on how I might improve the text or if I missed anything.  I'll have a new version up by the end of August, earlier if I get feedback.

The link to the file is HERE and I'll put one in the side panel on the main blog page.

Thank you for your time and interest.

2 comments:

  1. Nice - that's already clarified a few things for us, thanks! Did you ever get the 'August' version done?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey the rules looked pretty clear. I think I noticed one 'of' when it felt like it should be an 'or' but other than that great.

    ReplyDelete